Saturday, March 19, 2022

Deconstructing New Testament Autographs

I only just recently learned of Dr. Jamin Andreas Hübner, professor of economics at the University of the People, and a Research Fellow for the Center of Faith and Human Flourishing at LCC International University, Klaipėda, Lithuania. One of the topics that Hübner's research engages with is Christian "fundamentalism." I had not known or engaged with Hübner before I came across a tweet that he made interacting with my 2016 JETS article "What are the NT Autographs?" He tweeted that 
"Tim Mitchell in JETS 59.2 (2016) - the journal by ETS (that requires member[s] to be inerrantist), attempts to patch up these problems by bestowing Divinity/perfection to the "released" autograph, not the *original* original autographs, which doesn't solve problems..."
My article Hübner was referencing was this one,
"What are the NT Autographs? An Examination of the Doctrine of Inspiration and Inerrancy in Light of Greco-Roman Publication." JETS 59/2 (June 2016): 287-308.
Intrigued and delighted by his engagement with my article, I did some more digging and learned that he had recently written a book in which he fleshes out his arguments against an inspired "inerrant" autograph.




Hübner's interaction with inerrancy and autographs is found on pages 71-73, the screen shot of each page I include below.



I too, like Hübner struggled with the evangelical doctrine of inerrancy. This curiosity (some would call doubt) is what initially drove me into the field of New Testament textual criticism. Some of these issues that I had with inerrancy didn't begin to iron out in my mind until I began to gain a better grasp of the ways in which books were copied and circulated in the first few centuries of the Christian era. It was these insights that I culled together in the JETS article. After publication, I realized a few issues with the definitions my JETS article. One of which Hübner points out, without maybe realizing it. He fails to distinguish between the autographs as "text" and the autograph as "physical document."
I realized that I was not as clear on this distinction in my JETS article, and I attempted to flesh this out better in another article which was published recently.

Where Inspiration is Found: Putting the New Testament Autographs in Context,” in Southern Baptist Journal of Theology 24.3 (Fall 2020): 83-101.
In this article I wrote concerning the "autograph."
"the term “autograph” is not very helpful in describing the multifaceted aspects of divine inspiration and the composition of the NT writings, because at every phase of the draft stages, the document(s) would technically be “autographs.” Yet this is clearly not what is meant by “autograph” in doctrinal statements. Any definition of the original text, or “autograph,” must take these aspects into consideration." (pg. 92)
I continue on,
"Therefore, in reference to the NT, the “autograph,” as often discussed by apologists, theologians, and doctrinal statements, should be defined as the text of the completed authorial work the moment in which it was released by the author for circulation and copying, not earlier draft versions or layers of composition." (pg. 96)
Finally, I wrote,
"Certainly, the physical properties of the autograph (whether papyrus, parchment, wax or wooden tablet, etc.) helped to shape the text, however, it is the text—the wording—that was inspired, not the physical medium of the material autograph. Passages in the scriptures, such as Colossians 4:16, 1 Thessalonian 5:27, and 1 Timothy 4:13, imply a copying and distributing process. For Paul, addressing these congregations, it was imperative that the recipients received the text of the epistle, not the original physical material autograph penned by the sender of the letter." (pgs. 96-97)
Though my comments might not address Hübner's concerns over the issues of an inspired autograph, it is my hope that they do. Hopefully he might engage with my arguments more fully in the future.

3 comments:

  1. Timothy,
    Thanks, for the post. It seems to me that Hübner makes at least one category error in the pages shown. He seems to believe that Dr. White et al, are arguing that it is only the ‘message’ that matters in response to Erhman. In fact, Dr. White is discussing the inclusion/exclusion of verses and which variant is original and how that does not affect doctrine. Neither Dr. White nor Dr. Wallace, to my knowledge, has ever indicated that they intend to convey that only the ‘message’ matters.
    Tim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tim. Yes, it does seem like Hübner is making a straw man argument at several places in the book. at least with regard to the "autographs."

      Delete
  2. First and foremost I am enthusiastic to find your blog. I was one of those who refused to sign a document concerning "inerrancy" while I attended an AG Bible College a long time ago. This page is using Eclectic Musings which I created for my parents Memorial Services so that my sister in law could more easily view my preparation and many revisions thus I imagine that the final version might be considered the "autograph" (which was the "wording" that I read to the audience that day from what I have read above. Thus there is little there and I am not eager to wade into various quagmires thus I prefer to lurk more than comment. Why? How many authors/writers/etc correctly grasp DB Hart's book ... That all shall be saved... especially those who have commented at Eclectic Orthodoxy... I am familiar enough with Textual Criticism that I dare not voice my opinions due to the polarized perspectives that mirror the anathematizing events during the 300-500 Church council era. I recently tried to explain to a close Church friend that if I attended that White vs Ehrman as a third participant --- I would support Ehrman at times while surprising ? both of them that I disagree with both . My close friend went ballistic! I am not that fond of Ehrman but less fond of Mohler, White, Piper et al... This entire Battle for the Inerrant Bible etc. certainly does not match the most memorable saying from my previous teacher long ago -- Gordon Fee -- Be a Scholar on Fire! I would write more but as very often happens the blogger does not grasp my meaning which could be due to both sides -- my writing and the reception of the reader.. The entire process of the NT Transmission is too complex and inscrutable to be able to narrow issues down like my Conservative friends would like ... especially this is seen in your previous article over p66 MSS . Whether this is posted or not is not important either. I thank you for the prodding to write this anyway. Keep going! Enthusiastic towards your materials!

    ReplyDelete